- Proposal Due Date: January 20, 2023 by 5pm PST
- Title: Communications Strategist & Project Manager (1099 Contract)
- Location: Remote with team members in Oakland, CA / Boston, MA / New Haven, CT for coworking
- Start Date: Early February 2023
- Hours: min. 10 hours a week with a max. 20 hours per week (contingent on individual project needs and phases).
- This translates to a minimum of 40 hours and a maximum of 160 hours per month.
- We are online Monday - Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm PST. We collaborate across time zones with clients and team members.
- Retainer Budget: $3,500 retainer per month paid 1x a month on the 20th
- Duration: 3 - 6+ months to start to support immediate projects with opportunity for longer engagement
- Point of Contact for Questions: email@example.com
Purpose and Background
bombilla®, a growing AfroLatina-owned creative agency for social change, is in immediate need of an organized, energetic and experienced Communications Strategist & Project Manager (Contractor) to support our retainer portfolio of social justice-driven clients.
This role is critical in the high-quality, successful delivery of client services and creative production. You will manage projects and retainers, coordinating and communicating between client partners and the creative project team while providing counsel and thought partnership using your strategic communications experience and expertise.
We’re a close-knit, values-driven team of strategists and designers who infuse fun and joy in our everyday work while fighting the biggest challenges of our time. Our client partners work in racial and economic justice, policy & advocacy, climate justice, and more--all issue areas that seek to create a more just and equitable world for all. Read more about us on our website.
Your role is to lead the way for branding & design projects to be gracefully completed on budget, on time and with excellence. Your responsibility is to oversee project(s) tasks, budgets, timelines and team members and for supporting communications-related projects (messaging, content) and typical collaboration challenges.
- We meet Tuesday - Thursday at 10am PST for a 15-min huddle to review progress, blockers and barriers.
- We’re online from 10am-1pm PST for team and client meetings.
Statement of Work
- Serve as advisor and counsel to 3-5 clients and creative team (1-3 designers, depending on project)
- Work with the creative team to stay on budget, meet client expectations, and uphold work quality;
- Act as key holder of client and project goals and timelines;
- Provide clients with ongoing updates progress and facilitate meetings;
- Anticipate and mitigate client bandwidth issues by offering creative solutions;
- Escalate and flag appropriate project updates to the CEO;
- Adjust workback plans and track associated changes in deliverables and timelines;
- Provide ongoing internal progress updates to keep teams on track;
- Support communications projects, ranging from customer research, key messaging development and naming projects (varies by client/project);
- Report progress and anticipated work in internal daily huddle meetings at 10:00am PT Monday-Thursday
Specific to this role:
- Experienced strategist and communicator with proven track record in strategic marketing, public relations, branding and/or marketing communications consulting
- At least 10+ years of experience working in consulting, creative agencies or professional services
- Graceful, assertive and comfortable managing client relationships, projects and teams and all of the pivots that come with the creative process
- At least 5+ years experience working with nonprofit, public and/or mission/justice-driven organizations
- Naturally curious and able to effectively communicate in different ways with different stakeholders
- Proven success completing projects from concept to production and managing contractor and/or vendor relationships
- Basic knowledge of graphic design and/or creative campaign production
- Proficiency with the systems we use: Asana, Slack, Google for Business, Dropbox, Adobe Creative Cloud
- Motivated to disrupt the status quo and to decolonize design and business;
- #litonpurpose and inspired to make positive change in this world;
- Eager to lead and do business in a human-centered way;
RFP Requirements, Deadline & Projected Timeline
To submit a proposal, please include the subject line “Proposal for Comms Strategist” and the following attachments/links in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- A recent resume (or an updated LinkedIn profile link)
- A video or written statement that describes your philosophy/ethos/leadership approach to team management and client management in a creative agency setting
- Video no more than 2 minutes; written statement no more than 600 words
- A link to your portfolio or 2-3 examples of past client work relevant to this role
- Two professional references (including phone and email) from former employer, former client or former team member
Proposal Due Date: January 20, 2023 by 5pm PST
- Thursday, January 26, 2023 by 5pm PST: All applicants will be notified if they are moving forward in the process or not.
- Between January 27-February 3, 2023: Team Interview with Finalists
- By February 8, 2023: Applicant Selected & Notified
- By February 13, 2023: Contract Start Date
*This is estimated, not exact; it is provided for transparency. Please note we are a small and nimble team and may need to adjust the projected timeline.
We are an AfroLatina-owned company with an all-Women of Color staff. At bombilla creative, inc., we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We wouldn't be who we are without the rich diversity of our team. We strongly encourage people of color, women, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, people from low-income backgrounds, veterans and people from the Global Majority to apply.
Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.